This recipe comes to us from Chef Patty Neumson, proprietor of Chicago’s renowned Thai eatery Herb. Patty joined us for our Thai Food in America series, episode 3, “Cooking Thai Regional Dishes: North and South.”
Estimated cooking time: 15 minutes
- 12 ounces sliced chicken thigh or chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon sliced turmeric or 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 3 dried red chili peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 cup mini sweet peppers
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- Pound the turmeric, garlic, and dried red chili peppers thoroughly with a mortar and pestle or in a bowl, set aside.
- Heat the wok, add canola oil when hot, then add the pounded ingredients, stir until fragrant, add chicken thighs or breast and stir until cooked. (about 3-4 minutes.)
- Season with fish sauce and sugar. Add water, stir well, add kaffir lime leaves, black pepper, mini sweet peppers, stir well again for 1 minute.
- Plate and serve with steamed jasmine rice.
- If you’d like, add a fried egg on top!
Watch Chef Patty make it:
This series is sponsored by Thai Select USA.