How did Thai cuisine become so popular in the United States and across the world? Join us for this live virtual program to learn how Thailand has used “soft power” to raise awareness of its food and culture and transform the country into a prime culinary tourism destination and a leading exporter of food related products. We will meet the owners and chefs of two of the oldest and top-rated Thai restaurants in the United States. Chef Nongkran Daks from Chantilly, Virginia’s Thai Basil and Chef Chai Siriyan from San Francisco’s Marnee Thai will share their stories, discuss how awareness of Thai cuisine in America has changed in the last 20 years, and prepare a special and personal dish with us, including the iconic Pad Thai and the regional specialty Kang Kai Kole (southern yellow chicken curry).
- Chef Chai’s Pad Thai recipe
- Order Nong’s Thai Kitchen cookbook
- WATCH Chef Nongkran on Beat Bobby Flay
- The Economist: Thailand’s gastro-diplomacy (2002)
- Virtual Programs Main Page • Become a Turnstile Member
- Past Virtual Programs • Virtual Programs FAQs