Posted on February 19, 2020
Turnstile Tours’ Sales and Operations Manager is a part-time position (15-20 hours/week) with opportunities for growth, and s/he will be primarily responsible for managing customer inquiries, sending proposals for custom tour requests, booking public and private tours,scheduling staff, generating new business for public and private tours, and supporting the company’s overall sales and marketing strategy and operations. The Sales and Operations Manager reports to the President of Turnstile Tours for his/her overall role and responsibilities, but may also report to the Vice President of Turnstile Tours on specific and designated areas of responsibility or projects. Depending on the staff member’s background and relevant experience, this staff member may also be trained to lead tours as a secondary responsibility of his/her position.
- Being familiar with all tour products and sales and marketing materials
- Respond to inquiries for public and private tours, including drafting and sending custom tour itineraries and proposals to private tour customers and responding to customers’ questions about public tours.
- Process individual ticket sales for public tours
- Process reservations and payments for private tour bookings
- Improve systems that support quality customer service and increase efficiencies in the day-to-day operations of the business
- Coordinate with staff around scheduling for public and private tours
- Support the President and Vice President in strategic planning and the development of partnership proposals
- Liaise with partners (museums, nonprofit partners, bus companies, industry professionals, etc.) and staff regarding tour scheduling and planned itineraries
- Cultivate individual ticket sales for public tours through updating, organizing, and managing product listings on reseller sites (Expedia, TripAdvisor, etc.)
- Follow up on sales leads and prospects and share updated marketing materials and product catalogues
- Be able to work 15-20 hours per week, including on at least 2-3 weekdays
- Be organized and demonstrate an ability to manage logistics, multiple schedules, and multitask
- Have strong professional writing skills
- Carry him/herself in a professional manner when interacting with customers and partners
- Respond to inquiries in a timely and professional manner
- Be flexible and able to adapt in a fast-changing environment
- Have a positive ‘can-do’ attitude, sense of humor, and friendly personality
- Perform well under pressure and demonstrate good judgment and communication skills
- Be able to work in a non-traditional office environment by being a good team player who works in a cooperative fashion, but who is also a self-starter
- Be creative and have ideas for improvements to systems and operations
- Have prior administrative experience in logistics and operations in the museum field and/or the tourism or travel trade
- Have prior experience in tourism, hospitality, and/or another visitor-facing/customer-oriented industry (museums, travel, etc.)
- Demonstrate strong critical thinking, writing, and communication skills
- Speak another language besides English
- Are licensed NYC Sightseeing Guides and/or have experience working in sales or marketing for a tourism or travel trade business or cultural institutions
- Have experience in working with people of all different backgrounds and with people who have disabilities
- Have an interest in growing with the company, and also learning and giving tours
This part-time position is for 15-20 hours per week with an hourly rate of $20-25/hour commensurate with experience. This position includes flexible scheduling and the possibility for some duties and responsibilities to be performed remotely. After 90 days of employment, all employees of Turnstile Tours are eligible to contribute to a personal 401(k) retirement plan, receive compensation for obtaining or renewing their NYC sightseeing license, and partake in other employee benefits provided by the company.
Instructions for applicants
Please e-mail your CV, resume, or LinkedIn profile and a letter indicating why you are interested and why/how you think you’d be a good fit for this position to info at turnstile tours dot com.
Turnstile Tours values a diverse workforce to help us better serve a diverse public, and we encourage qualified individuals from any and all backgrounds to apply.
Turnstile Tours is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to making all personnel decisions without regard to age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other category protected by law.