Join the Friends of Olmsted-Beil House for a fascinating presentation by Justin Martin, author of Genius of Place: The Life of Frederick Law Olmsted. Justin will highlight Olmsted’s travels to England while he lived at Tosomock Farm on Staten Island, and his subsequent writings about these travels. Olmsted departed from Staten Island for a walking tour of England in April 1850, returned in October, and both wrote (1851) and published (1852) his observations in Walks and Talks of an American farmer in England while on Staten Island. Discussion will address how these travels influenced Olmsted’s social thinking and landscape designs, and there will be Q&A for in-person and virtual attendees. In-person attendees are invited to a reception following with light refreshments and Friends of Olmsted-Beil House items available for purchase, including Genius of Place and the Olmsted on Staten Island Discovery Map.
IMPORTANT: Tickets are available for this in-person, indoor lecture at the Parish House at New Dorp Moravian Church on Staten Island, or to watch a live stream of the lecture on Zoom. If we must cancel the in-person lecture due to COVID-related guidelines, the lecture will be presented at the same time remotely, and all “in-person” registrants will have the option to receive a refund or to switch to remote attendance.
PROOF OF VACCINATION REQUIRED FOR IN-PERSON ATTENDANCE: Under the Key to NYC program (updated December 15, 2021), proof of a full course of a COVID-19 vaccination is required (two doses for all vaccines except the one-dose Johnson & Johnson; booster is not required) for all attendees age 5 or older.
In order to be admitted, you must bring a photo ID (if 18 or older) and one of the following, which will be checked at the entrance:
- A photo or hard copy of your CDC vaccination card
- NYC COVID Safe App Apple / Android
- New York State Excelsior App (available only to people who have been vaccinated in New York State) Apple / Android
- Official vaccine record
- A photo or hard copy of an official vaccination record of an accepted vaccine administered outside the United States for one of the following vaccines: AstraZeneca-Oxford, COVAXIN, Novavax, Sinopharm-BIBP, or Sinovac.
Masks must be worn indoors at all times by all attendees, except when eating or drinking, regardless of age or vaccination status, per New York State guidelines.
Please make note of these other guidelines for this program:
- Maintain social distancing: In order to ensure everyone’s safety and comfort, we ask that everyone stay at least 6 feet apart from people who are not in their immediate pod or group.
- If you are feeling unwell before the program, please let us know so that we can refund your ticket or switch you to the virtual option.
- We have a zero-tolerance policy for individuals who endanger staff, visitors, and partners by refusing to abide by these rules, or who engage in verbal or physical harassment, displays discriminatory or threatening behavior, or otherwise interferes with the experience of others. Attendees who violate these policies may be asked to leave the event without a refund.
- We will collect and retain the names and contact information of all event attendees in the event that contact tracing efforts are necessary, and this information may be shared with public health authorities.
- Even if you have received a vaccine, you must abide by all of these rules.
- In-Person Admission: $10 per person
- Virtual Admission: $10 per household
- Advance ticket purchase is required
- Turnstile Members can sign up for the virtual option using their Member ID
The in-person lecture will take place at the Parish House of New Dorp Moravian Church on Staten Island.
Virtual attendees will receive information to sign in via Zoom with their ticket purchase confirmation.
Address: 2205 Richmond Rd. Staten Island, NY 10306
- Please note that while the postal address is Richmond Rd, the entrance to the Church grounds is on Todt Hill Rd, at the corner with Richmond Rd, located in Moravian Cemetery.
- PUBLIC TRANSIT: The Parish House is a short walk from the Grant City stop on the Staten Island Railroad, and trains depart the St. George Ferry Terminal every 30 minutes. Visit mta.info for schedules and service changes.
- DRIVING AND PARKING: The entrance to the church grounds is located just off Todt Hill Rd, near the junction with Richmond Rd. On-site parking is available for attendees.