On September 22, 1958, 23-year-old US Army Private Elvis Presley boarded troop transport USS General George M. Randall at the Brooklyn Army Terminal to begin his 17 months of military service in Germany. Though everything Elvis did was a media event, he tried his best to be just another G.I. In this virtual program, we will follow Elvis’ footsteps in Brooklyn, compare his experience to that of millions of other soldiers that passed through the New York Port of Embarkation, place his drafting and deployment into the context of the Cold War, and discuss the impact of his military service on his music and movie career.
- Trina Young (2021) Elvis: The Army Years Uncovered
- WATCH Press conference at Brooklyn Army Terminal, Sep 22, 1958
- “Farewell Squeal for Elvis” (Life, Oct 6, 1958)
- “Bad Nauheim pays tribute to famous former resident, US Army Pvt. Elvis Presley” (Stars & Stripes, Aug 21, 2021)
- “Army Elvis” (Elvis History Blog)
- Culture and Military Museum of Grafenwoehr
- Elvis Barbershop Museum