Most of the same food carts selling the ubiquitous street meat also offer a strikingly vegan dish that is both traditional and modern. Falafel checks all the boxes from traditional, healthy, and delicious. On this hunger inducing virtual program, our resident food expert Brian Hoffman will explore all aspects of this humble little fritter from its historic controversial origins to recommendations on the best versions in New York to an explanation on how they are made. Along the way, we will learn from some of the best falafel chefs on New York food carts, and Brian will show us how to make great falafel at home with a live cooking demonstration.
- New York à la Cart by Alexandra Penfold and Siobhan Wallace
- Street Food Icons: The King of Falafel (Munchies)
- Nisim Garame, “Falafel” song
- WATCH Around the World in One Kitchen virtual program
- Eat This NY
- Around the World in One Kitchen YouTube series