On the Staten Island Ferry’s 115th birthday, we take a tour of the island’s North Shore waterfront. Seen by Staten Islanders as culturally distinct from the neighborhoods south of the expressway, the North Shore is home to the borough’s cultural and industrial centers, interspersed with forgotten villages and dilapidated mansions. But even here, gentrification and transit investments aim to remake the waterfront just as climate change increases its vulnerability.
- WATCH: Staten Island’s Freight Rail: Back from the Brink with Don Lotz
- Snug Harbor Cultural Center
- WATCH: “Mind the Light, Kate”: New York’s Most Famous Lighthouse Keeper with the Noble Maritime Collection / The Noble Maritime Collection
- WATCH: Lighting the Way: Staten Island’s National Lighthouse Museum / National Lighthouse Museum
- Museum of Maritime Navigation and Communication
- Alice Austen House Museum