Saturday, October 15, 10:30am
Prospect Park is home to Brooklyn’s largest and oldest forest, an important hotspot of biodiversity with over 30,000 trees of 200+ species. On this guided walking tour with Prospect Park Alliance touring partner Turnstile Tours, we will explore the history of the stewardship of this forest over the past 150 years, looking at some of the park’s oldest trees, exploring the management practices developed by park co-designer Frederick Law Olmsted, the work of the Alliance to restore these urban woodlands over the past 30 years, and contemporary challenges to forests due to climate change and invasive pests.
This tour is appropriate for all ages, and we will walk approximately 1.5 miles. There will be limited access to restrooms, and extended periods of standing and walking over uneven surfaces is required. This event is part of City of Forest Day, a citywide effort to raise awareness of our urban forest.
Presented by the Center for Architecture, Archtober
is an annual festival of lectures, tours, exhibitions, and films that celebrate all things architecture in New York City. These special tours of the Brooklyn Navy Yard will focus on the Yard’s unique built environment, including our Architecture & Infrastructure Tour
examining current development in the Yard, our Urban Ecology Bicycle Tour
, which will visit green roofs and landscape architecture at the Yard, and other tours about the site, its history, and contemporary mission.
Saturday, November 12, 10:30am
More than 2,800 Brooklynites were killed in World War I, and Prospect Park quickly became one of the borough’s key points of remembrance and commemoration. On this walking tour for Veterans Day, we will explore some of the memorial sites in the park and the people they memorialize, including the memorial trees along Prospect Park West, Bartel-Pritchard Square, and the striking 1921 memorial by Henry Augustus Lukeman. We will also discuss the ways in which the park was mobilized and transformed as a result of the war.
Our top priority is ensuring the health and safety of our guests, our staff, and the general public. Please review these guidelines before booking your tour, and feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
PROOF OF VACCINATION IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS TOUR: While some of our tours require proof of vaccination under the Key to NYC program, it is not required for our Prospect Park or Food Cart Tours, as they take place entirely outside.
If you are not vaccinated, we ask you to please wear a mask for the duration of the tour, per New York State guidelines.
Please make note of these other guidelines for all of our tours.
- Everyone must bring a mask: Please bring a mask that fully covers your nose and mouth, as circumstances may arise in which a mask is required. Please note that many of our staff live in households with small children that cannot currently be vaccinated, so they may request that you wear your mask, even when outside.
- Maintain social distancing: In order to ensure everyone’s safety and comfort, we ask that everyone stay at least 6 feet apart from people who are not in their immediate pod or group.
- If you are feeling unwell either before or during your tour experience, please remove yourself from the tour and let us know so that we can refund your ticket or reschedule you to a future date.
- We’re committed to working together to create a healthy and safe experience for our team and visitors, and our professionally-trained guides will be there to support you. Turnstile Tours’ staff have received training on compliance with new health and safety protocols, will have hand sanitizer on their person, and will be wearing their masks at all times during the tour and when interacting with the public.
- We have a zero-tolerance policy for individuals who endanger staff, visitors, and partners by refusing to abide by these rules, or who engage in verbal or physical harassment, displays discriminatory or threatening behavior, or otherwise interferes with the experience of others. Tour participants who violate these policies may be asked to leave the tour without a refund.
- Turnstile Tours may collect and retain the names and contact information of all tour attendees in the event that contact tracing efforts are necessary, and this information may be shared with public health authorities.
- Even if you have received a vaccine, you must abide by all of these rules.
- As in any public setting, we cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to COVID-19. By taking a tour with Turnstile Tours and going outside, you voluntarily assume such risks.
- General Admission: $25 per person
- Seniors (65+): $22.50
- Students and Veterans: $22.50
- Children (5-12): $12.50
- Prospect Park Alliance Members: 25% off
- Children under 5 are welcome to attend free
- Advance ticket purchase is required
Getting to Bartel-Pritchard Square
- The tour will begin next to the memorial in the center of the circle.
- PUBLIC TRANSIT: The nearest subway station is 15th St-Prospect Park (F,G). Please visit mta.info for routes, schedules, service changes, and delays.
- DRIVING AND PARKING: Limited street parking is available in this area.
- BICYCLE: There are bike racks along Prospect Park West, and there are also several Citi Bike stations in the area.
- Unless otherwise noted, tours end at the LeFrak Center at Lakeside, located near the Parkside Av (Q) and Prospect Park (B,Q,S) subway stations. If you are returning to Grand Army Plaza or to the parking lot following the tour, the walk back is approximately 20 minutes.
- Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for complete directions and information about public transportation.
These tours are offered on behalf of the Prospect Park Alliance, a nonprofit organization founded in 1987 to restore and maintain Prospect Park after a long period of steady deterioration and decline. The Alliance works to preserve the natural environment, restore historic design, and provide public programs and amenities for the Park, which receives more than 10 million visits each year. If you would like to become the member of the Alliance and support their work, you can add a membership to your purchase when reserving tour tickets. Membership levels include:
- Friend ($35): Prospect Park Alliance aluminum water bottle, $35 off a Citi Bike annual membership, invitations to fall and spring Member Tours & Trails, and 10% off season passes for ice skating, roller skating, bike and boat rentals at the LeFrak Center at Lakeside
- Supporter ($100): Prospect Park Alliance tote bag, invitation to Member Creatures of the Night tour, subscription to Brooklyn Magazine, $1 off a beer at the Smorgasburg Beer Garden, and complimentary skating admission on Wednesdays
- Family Supporter ($150): All of the Supporter benefits, plus unlimited rides on the Carousel (for family of four), invitation to Members Morning at Children’s Corner, and $25 off children’s birthday party rentals at the Carousel, Lefferts Historic House, LeFrak Center at Lakeside, and the Tennis Center
Upcoming Tours led by Andrew Gustafson:
- Wednesday, Sep 21, 3:15pm
- Wednesday, Sep 28, 1:30pm
- Tuesday, Oct 4, 2:30pm
- Wednesday, Oct 5, 1:15pm
- Monday, Oct 10, 2:15pm
- Tuesday, Oct 11, 2:15pm
- Thursday, Oct 13, 2:15pm
- Sunday, Oct 30, 1:30pm
Explore NYC’s new and enduring architecture, engineering marvels, and the revitalized waterfront from the teak decks of Classic Harbor Line’s elegant motor yachts. Hosted by the guides of the American Institute of Architects New York Chapter, this 2 hour and 45 minute circumnavigation tour offers insightful narration about the city’s built environment, from the Hudson and the Battery to the Hell Gate and Spuyten Duyvil. The story of NYC’s development is described as a broad overview for visitors, yet includes deeper insights to satisfy knowledgeable locals and architecture and design professionals. Learn about architectural icons and new and alluring sites, including Little Island at Pier 55, the mega-project Hudson Yards, and the continuing ascent of “supertall” luxury residential towers. Turnstile’s Andrew Gustafson is now part of the AIANY team leading these tours, and you can find his schedule above (subject to change), or join any of the wonderful AIANY boat tours with their engaging and knowledgeable guides.