PAST PROGRAM | Virtual Programs
With the National Hockey League scheduled to resume play soon (pandemic permitting), we are looking at the history of hockey in the New York metro area with our resident hockey historian Andrew Gustafson. We will look at high, low, and curious moments in the histories of the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils, but also look the forgotten clubs like the Raiders, Wanderers, and Americans (and how the latter almost moved to Brooklyn), and the many amateur, minor-league, and college clubs that have competed in the region over the past 125 years.
- Metro Ice by Stan Fischler and Tom Sarro (1999)
- Spalding’s Ice Hockey and Ice Polo Guide (1898)
- The Brooklyn Americans: Hockey’s Forgotten Promise at the Brooklyn Historical Society (Uni-Watch, 2015)
- Idol of the Crowds (1937)
- US Coast Guard Cutters hockey team
- “A Nowhere Ride” (Sports Illustrated, 1979)