More than 2,800 Brooklynites were killed in World War I, and Prospect Park quickly became one of the borough’s key points of remembrance and commemoration. On this virtual walking tour for Veterans Day, we will explore some of the memorial sites in the park and they people they memorialize, including the memorial trees along Prospect Park West, Bartel-Pritchard Square, and the striking 1921 memorial by Henry Augustus Lukeman. We will also discuss the ways in which the park was mobilized and transformed as a result of the war.
- Veterans Day Tour Google Map
- The Great War and NYC: Prospect Park
- World War I Memorial Trees
- Mary McDowell Friends School
- The “Living Photographs” of Mole and Thomas