Get a taste of the streets of Manhattan on this 2-hour walking tour that explores the past and present of New York’s street food industry and the challenges of running these thriving but demanding small businesses. Each tour includes generous tastings from some of the best food carts and trucks in New York City – the menu rotates from week to week, but tastings on your tour may include falafel and lamb off the bone, halal chicken and rice, Korean short ribs, Bengali kati rolls, Belgian waffles, and Mexican quesadillas, all prepared in these curbside kitchens. But beyond the delicious food, you will also get the chance to meet working street vendors, understand the rules and regulations they navigate every day, and learn what to takes to launch and run a successful street food business. You will never look at street food the same way again! Tours are available in Midtown or the Financial District, and 5% of all Food Cart Tour ticket sales are donated to the Street Vendor Project.
Tour Info & Highlights
Our top priority is ensuring the health and safety of our guests, our staff, and the general public. Please review these guidelines before booking your tour, and feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
PROOF OF VACCINATION IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS TOUR: While some of our tours require proof of vaccination under the new Key to NYC program introduced on August 17, 2021, it is not required for our Prospect Park or Food Cart Tours, as they take place entirely outside.
If you are not vaccinated, we ask you to please wear a mask for the duration of the tour, per New York State guidelines.
While on food tours, participants can remove their masks while eating and drinking, but are asked to please maintain a six-foot distance from people who are not in their immediate pod or group.
Please make note of these other guidelines for all of our tours.
- Tours are limited to 15 participants.
- Access to public restrooms may be limited throughout the tour, so please plan accordingly.
- Maintain social distancing: In order to ensure everyone’s safety and comfort, we ask that everyone stay at least 6 feet apart from people who are not in their immediate pod or group.
- Everyone must bring a mask: Please bring a mask that fully covers your nose and mouth, as circumstances may arise in which a mask is required. Please note that many of our staff live in households with small children that cannot currently be vaccinated, so they may request that you wear your mask, even when outside.
- If you have not received a full course of a vaccine, we ask you to please wear a mask for the duration of the tour, per New York State guidelines.
- If you are feeling unwell either before or during your tour experience, please remove yourself from the tour and let us know so that we can refund your ticket or reschedule you to a future date.
- We’re committed to working together to create a healthy and safe experience for our team and visitors, and our professionally-trained guides will be there to support you. Turnstile Tours’ staff have received training on compliance with new health and safety protocols, will have hand sanitizer on their person, and will be wearing their masks at all times during the tour and when interacting with the public.
- We have a zero-tolerance policy for individuals who endanger staff, visitors, and partners by refusing to abide by these rules, or who engage in verbal or physical harassment, displays discriminatory or threatening behavior, or otherwise interferes with the experience of others. Tour participants who violate these policies may be asked to leave the tour without a refund.
- Turnstile Tours collects and retains the names and contact information of all tour attendees in the event that contact tracing efforts are necessary, and this information may be shared with public health authorities.
- Even if you have received a vaccine, you must abide by all of these rules.
- Turnstile Tours’ enhanced safety protocols are based on current City and State mandates and recommended guidelines. As in any public setting, we cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to COVID-19. By taking a tour with Turnstile Tours and going outside, you voluntarily assume such risks.
- General Admission: $54 per person
- Seniors (65+): $48.60
- Children (5-12): $27
- Children under 5 are welcome to attend free
- Advance ticket purchase is required
Midtown tours begin in Bryant Park on the southeast corner of 6th Avenue and 42nd St.
Financial District tours begin in the public atrium in the Continental Center, 150 Maiden Lane.
This tour includes 5-6 generous tastings from different street food vendors. Because street vendors often change locations, this menu is subject to change, but dishes frequently featured on this tour include chicken over rice, Indian kati rolls, Korean barbecue, and Belgian waffles.
We strive to accommodate most dietary restrictions and requests, including vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free diets, as well as allergies and food sensitivities. When making your booking, please be sure to indicate these so that we can make appropriate arrangements. Our team will strive to accommodate you as best we can, but we cannot guarantee all dietary accommodations. If you have any questions regarding the menu, please contact us directly.
The Street Vendor Project is a membership-based project of the Urban Justice Center with nearly 2,000 vendor members who are working together to create a vendors’ movement for permanent change. The organization does outreach to vendors and stakeholders to educate about rights and responsibilities, campaigns for changes to laws and policies that unfairly target street vendors, provides legal representation to vendors in court, and helps vendors through small business training, loans, and direct assistance. Since we launched the Food Cart Tours in 2010, Turnstile Tours has donated 5% of all revenue from these tours to the Street Vendor Project, totaling more than $15,000.
Learn more about Street Vending