Discover the natural world in the midst a thriving urban industrial park on this 2-hour tour of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, where we will explore New York City’s waterways, terrestrial ecosystems and urban farms. The highlight of the tour is the stunning 65,000-square-foot Brooklyn Grange rooftop farm, where we will learn how they produce thousands of pounds of vegetables annually – as well as honey and eggs – and are a national leader in the development of rooftop and urban farming techniques. From the rooftop, we’ll also have amazing views of the Yard, including an extensive green rooftop and one of the largest rooftop solar installations in New York City.
Descending to the bank of the East River, we will visit an oyster restoration project led by students from the New York Harbor School and will discuss the improving health of the city’s waterways, and the challenges that remain. We will also explore planned and unplanned natural landscapes of the Yard, including the landscape architecture surrounding BLDG 92, identifying native and exotic plant species along the way. Finally, we will visit New York City’s newest green space, the Brooklyn Greenway Initiative‘s Naval Cemetery Landscape, a meadow designed to restore the natural habitat, provide a space for environmental education, and commemorate the thousands of sailors, Marines, and others once interred at the site.
This tour will reveal that the natural world truly is all around us, even in the heart of the city.
Upcoming Public Tours
- Bicycle Tours:
- Saturday, May 25, 11am
- Saturday, June 22, 11am
- Saturday, August 24, 11am
- Saturday, September 21, 11am
- Bus Tours:
- Sunday, May 19, 2pm
- Saturday, October 26, 11am
icon-clock-o 2 hoursicon-map-marker Brooklyn Navy Yard
- Inside Industry at the Brooklyn Navy Yard: Women Welders, Past and Present, Mar 8
- Inside Industry at the Brooklyn Navy Yard: Love Stories and Letterpress, Feb 9
- Inside Industry at the Brooklyn Navy Yard: Digital Fabrication, Jan 31
- Special Tours Mark 75 Years Since the End of World War II at the Brooklyn Navy Yard
- Special Brooklyn Navy Yard Tour with Jennifer Egan, Mar 1