PAST PROGRAM | Virtual Programs
In 1953, the USS Wrangell was sailing off the coast of Portugal when it encountered a fishing boat adrift; on board was just a lone fisherman, dead, a dog, barely alive. The dog was adopted by the crew and eventually brought back to the Brooklyn Navy Yard, though the mystery of “Salty Sam’s” origins have never been solved. To celebrate our dog Salty’s birthday (named after the mystery dog), we will share this puzzling tale, as well as other stories from the rich tradition of animal mascots in the US Navy.
- This American Life: Semper Fido, on Dogs for Defense in World War II
- From USS Wrangell to Turnstile Tours, “The Saga of Salty Sam” Continues
- Support Sean Casey Animal Rescue
- Soogie at USCGC Taney at Historic Ships in Baltimore
- Vicky at Battleship Iowa Museum
- Sinbad of the Coast Guard (1945) on Internet Archive