Originally from Connecticut and of Portuguese descent, New York-based artist Ralph Almeida creates colorful and imaginative “pop-surreal” works of ceramic and acrylic art that combine many influences – of indigenous and modern artists, the ancient and contemporary, nature and spirituality, and his own background as a textile designer. Ralph is perhaps best known for his painted decorative tiles, and he will walk us through a hands-on tile demo and some of his favorite projects, from tiles inspired by the stained glass windows of the Museum at Eldridge Street, to special commissions for people’s homes to decorative face masks.
- Ralph’s website • Facebook • Instagram @raffa_art
- Order “Ask Not What Mother Can Do for You” Tile
- “Global Poemic” featuring Ralph’s illustrations
- Interview with Portuguese American Journal
- Tiles of Prospect Park (Tiles in New York)
- Virtual Programs Main Page • Become a Turnstile Member
- Past Virtual Programs • Virtual Programs FAQs