The fastest way to the beach is on the NYC Ferry, so join us for another virtual boat tour as we cruise the Lower New York Bay. We will pick up the ferry in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, then make our way under the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge, past Coney Island, and down to the Rockaways. Along the way, we will discuss the forts and islands that used to protect the harbor, the history of recreation along the city’s Atlantic seaboard, and the rich aquatic life of Jamaica Bay and the New York Bight. At the end of the tour, we’ll take a walk across the Rockaway Peninsula and virtually stroll along the beach.
- New York Seascape map
- Coney Island History Project
- “A Subway to Staten Island?” (New York Times)
- “The 1858 Quarantine Fires in Staten Island” (NYPL)
- “Cherishing Life’s Ferris Wheel Ride” (New York Times)
- “Wonder Wheel Park Matriarch Dies, But Dream Will Keep Spinning” (NY1)
- “The Golden Venture: 25 Years Later” (Rockaway Times)