Take a virtual tour of the Brooklyn Navy Yard in World War II with Jennifer Egan, author of the award-winning novel Manhattan Beach, and our own resident historian, Andrew Gustafson. We will highlight many of the sites featured in the novel and delve into the Jennifer’s research process, discuss the materials she used to bring the Yard of the 1940’s to life, and listen to selections of oral histories of real women war workers that inspired many of the characters and incidents in the book. Jennifer will also read excerpts from her book and answer questions about her remarkable work.
- Brooklyn Navy Yard Archive guide to Manhattan Beach
- “Reading Lucy” essay in Brooklyn Was Mine
- Order Manhattan Beach from Brooklyn’s Greenlight Books
- Virtual Programs Main Page • Become a Turnstile Member
- Past Virtual Programs • Virtual Programs FAQs